Categories
Uncategorized

Unit 3 / post 3: You don’t need to speak to communicate…

You don’t need to speak to communicate…

We often relate communication with oral speaking. However, communication is a broad spectrum that has a lot of implications. Communication is not only what one can express through words, but what we express through our body language, sounds, gestures, appearance, and physical action (non-verbal communication). We use verbal communication consciously (we think before we deliver the message) while we use non-verbal communication unconsciously (we don’t think about the message we deliver). Tattoos, environment, hairstyle, clothing, etc. are implications that communicate a message to others about how you are as a person, your values, and/or social status. 

From personal experience, my facial expression is my major problem. There is a saying that I totally relate to “if my mouth doesn’t say it, my face definitely will.” There are a lot of times in which people assume I am rude or mean due to the reason that I always have a neutral facial expression. I don’t tend to smile at people if I don’t know them, which in my opinion is the reason why people misinterpret me. I am a very introverted person but as time progresses and I am more comfortable with the other person I become more friendly. But that doesn’t mean that I am rude just because I have a different way of portraying myself to others